Reading Group Guide
1. Dreaming in Black and White begins with "My thighs were at it again." Phoebe Grant is not the typical size-2 heroine found in most chick lit novels. How did that make you feel about her? What part of her character do you see in yourself?
2. All the world may be a stage, but to Phoebe, it's a movie and she's in the starring role. If your life was a movie, who would star as you? What would the title of the movie be?
3. Lindsey, Phoebe's best friend in the novel, is the kind of best friend we'd all like to have. Do you have a Lindsey in your life? Share your best memory of a single-girls' adventure.
4. When Lindsey and Phil took out the personal ad for Phoebe, did you think it was presumptuous or an act of love? Would you do something like that for a friend? To what lengths have you gone to help a friend find love?
5. Phoebe is the queen of bad blind dates-first Colin, the 51-year-old hair plug guy who lives with his mother, then the tattooed too-young and too-familiar Steve, and finally, Monster-truck man Hank. Do you have any blind date horror stories that rival Phoebe's?
6. Lindsey and Phoebe come up with a fun pre-nuptial agreement that has nothing to do with money, but is a list of the do's and don'ts they want from their someday husbands. If you're single, do you have a similar list of expectations? And if you're married, did you have such a list when you were single? If so, how many items on that list did your husband meet? Should we have such lists? Or should we let God handle the pre-nup instead?
7. Throughout the novel, Phoebe has to deal with many of the ups and downs common to twenty- and thirtysomethings--losing a job, being single, trying to become friends with her mom, and the celebration/sadness that comes when friends are married. Have you ever walked a day or two in Phoebe's slingbacks? What did you learn while trying to cope with these changes?
8. Phoebe's dreams have changed drastically by the end of the book. Has your life ever done a similar about-face when you learned that the dreams you thought you wanted were not the ones that would bring you the most happiness?
9. Do you think God often influences those about-face direction changes? What are some of the blessings you have received that you would have missed out on if your path had not been redirected?
10. Phoebe loves chick flicks, especially English ones. If you could host a chick flickathon with your friends, what movies would you choose? (Limit to Top Three.)