Permission is necessary if you are writing a book or developing a product that uses material or excerpts from a Thomas Nelson publication. Please use the HarperCollins Christian Permission Request Form.
Bible Quotation Policy:
The below applies to all Thomas Nelson Bible translations: New King James Version (NKJV), New Century Version (NCV), International Children’s Bible (ICB), Expanded Bible, or The Voice.
If your use of Scripture does not fall within all the Gratis Use Guidelines listed below, written permission is required, and you will need to submit a formal request.
Gratis Use Guidelines:
- No more than 500 verses quoted in total.
- Scripture does not make up more than 25% of the total text.
- Scripture does not account for an entire book of the Bible.
- Scripture is not quoted in a commentary or any other Biblical Reference work.
- All Scripture must be properly cited (see below).
- Your product is not listed below in the “Not Covered by Gratis Use” section.
Scripture from any of the Thomas Nelson translations may be quoted in any form (written, visual, electronic, or audio) up to five hundred (500) verses or less without written permission, provided Scripture does not make up more than 25% of the total text in the work and the Scripture is not being quoted in commentary or another Biblical reference work. If an entire book of the Bible is being reproduced, regardless of verse count, written permission is required. This permission is contingent upon an appropriate copyright acknowledgment.
Not covered by Gratis Use:
- Scripture on a product in which the verse stands alone such as artwork, notecards, crafts, novelty products, jewelry.
- Use of charts, maps, illustrations, footnotes, study notes, reference material, and the like.
- Use of scripture in lyrics and musical compositions
Scripture taken from the New King James Version®. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson. Used by permission. All rights reserved.
Scripture taken from the New Century Version®. Copyright © 2005 by Thomas Nelson. Used by permission. All rights reserved.
Scripture taken from the International Children’s Bible®. Copyright © 1986, 1988, 1999 by Thomas Nelson. Used by permission. All rights reserved.
Scripture taken from The Voice™. Copyright © 2012 by Ecclesia Bible Society. Used by permission. All rights reserved.
The Expanded Bible
Scripture taken from The Expanded Bible. Copyright ©2011 by Thomas Nelson. Used by permission. All rights reserved.
Word of Promise™
Thomas Nelson has very rigid restrictions placed on the use of the Word of Promise™ Audio Bible. Unfortunately, we do not have the rights to allow any third-party use of this product. We are unable to grant any permission requests, including but not limited to broadcast use or website streaming uses.
Use of one of our Bible translations in its entirety requires a license and is subject to a fee. When you contact us, please include the following information:
- Anticipated publication date
- Anticipated formats and price points for each format
- Anticipated first printing and first year sales figures for each format
- Primary audience
- Primary sales channels (Christian retail, general retail, direct to consumer, etc.)
- Authors for the content you will include in the Bible and/or description of additional content you plan to add to the Bible text
- Other Bibles you have published
- Other Bible translations you have published and/or other licenses you have for other translations
- The printer and typesetter you plan to use
- Details about your editorial process and the experience of your editorial team producing Bibles
Please answer the following questions in order to use one of our Bible translations in smartphone application or other related digital product.
- Has your organization developed apps before? If so, please provide details.
- Will you be distributing the entire Bible in your app?
- What kind of other content will you be pairing with the Bible text in this app?
- What is the retail price of the app?
- What are your estimated first year sales?
- What is your business model? How will you pay publishers for their content?
- What are your future plans for this app or other related apps?
- Can you provide screenshots, mock-ups, or promo codes (if other versions of the app are already in the market)?
If you are writing a book or developing a product and would like to request permission to use an excerpt from a Thomas Nelson publication, please fill out our online request form found on this page. Please provide all the following information when filling out the form:
- Completed permission request form
- A copy of a Thomas Nelson book page with excerpt underlined
- A copy of the copyright page from the Thomas Nelson book
- A few lines of your material preceding and following the quotes from our book
Fees are determined based on the amount of material used, size of your first printing, retail price of your book, and distribution of the material. Fees compensate the authors for the use of their published works.
If you are requesting to photocopy material for a church, school, etc., please fill out our online request form found on this page. Please provide the following information:
- Completed permission request form Purpose of your request
- A copy of the book page with excerpt underlined
- Number of copies requested
Unfortunately, Thomas Nelson does not have a general “Gratis Use” policy. Our commitments to individual authors and contractual obligations prevent us from having a policy that we can apply to all permission inquiries. Instead, permissions are handled on a case-by-case basis. Please review our permissions policies. For additional questions, please contact the permissions department.
Note that requests to use more than 250 words from a single source will require additional approvals.
Requesting to reproduce images or illustrations requires formal permission (fees may apply). Please complete the HarperCollins Christian Publishing Request Form and submit.
For use of our books in academic courses, please contact Copyright Clearance Center, www.copyright.com.
Please contact our licensing department in order to find our more information about translating one of our books into another language.
Churches requesting to use a small selection of material for church bulletins, sermons or classroom use that falls within our Gratis Use Guidelines, formal written permission is not necessary.
Churches may use stand-alone quotations/scripture in sermons, bulletins, newsletters, or to be shown on a screen (PowerPoint or overhead projector) without asking permission provided the source is accurately cited (see Copyright Notice section).
Churches may photocopy either one chapter or less than 10% of the total work and up to twenty copies for church use only without asking permission. If more copies are needed, formal written permission is required (fees may apply).
Churches must include copyright notice on each photocopy. If the book is in print and available for purchase this citation must include a link to the Thomas Nelson www.thomasnelson.com
Written permission is necessary if you are writing a book or developing merchandise or creating presentations that uses material or cartoons from Reverend Fun.
Churches/Sunday Schools using less than 50 items, not for resale and for church use only, do not need formal permission. The following credit line is required on or near the cartoons:
Copyright © 2015 HarperCollins Christian Publishing. Please go to http://www.reverendfun.com/artchives/
- All requests must be submitted from Institutions, Universities or Colleges (not individuals).
- If you have not already confirmed your eligibility for the Disability Request, confirm visually impaired eligibility at the Library of Congress’ website of the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped (NLS).
- Please complete the Disability Request for Electronic Text Form (Download the Request for Electronic Text Form)and email to HCCPpermissions@HarperCollins.com.
- Please allow up to 2 weeks to prepare text.
Questions about the policy or the specific use
For all additional questions regarding permissions, please contact the permissions department via email at HCCPpermissions@HarperCollins.com or mail at the following address:
HarperCollins Christian Publishing
Attn: Permissions Department
P.O. Box 141000
Nashville, TN 37214